Monday, December 21, 2009

A glimpse into the past

In the spirit of Christmas and our new pre-lit Christmas tree, I want to highlight some of our favorite ornaments in our growing collection of Christmas decor.

Blake's parents gave him this hand-painted ornament of his first house. The details are amazing! Note the lack of landscaping... the picture that the artist used was clearly taken after they had every bit of overgrown vegetation removed, and before I came along! I love this idea and am hoping that Santa brings a similar ornament of our new house!














We received the next two wedding-esque ornaments at bridal showers, and I just think they are so cute. The little bride and groom bells were part of the bow on a gift - so creative!















Keeping with the wedding theme of 2009, we received a set of Inge-Glas German ornaments. This was my favorite of the few off-registry gifts we received! I love that every year when we put these dozen-or-so ornaments on the tree, we'll be reminded of our friends who gave them to us and I hope these are ornaments that we are able to pass down to future generations of Koriaths. Plus, they're super-glittery, which I love! Santa looks a little creepy but they're all really pretty, believe me.

Blake's mom is an excellent collector, specifically of White House commemorative ornaments and rocking horses. She gave us the entire collection of White House ornaments since 1980 and a handful of his rocking horses. We didn't put them all on the tree this year, though.





















Last, but certainly not least, I want to showcase some of Blake's fine artistic abilities from his younger years. Our tree is prominently featuring his talents with glitter back in 1983 as well as his paper mache abilities with a bear that just rests between branches. Maybe next year I'll dig up some of my handcrafted ornaments!





































Admittedly, we opted not to do Christmas cards this year (despite being given lots of grief considering that we got married AND bought a new house), but we've loved receiving lots of cards from friends! Hopefully, this blog post has given you a little glimpse into the Christmas spirit in our home, though, and we wish all of you a very merry Christmas and a happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment